We certainly were not very aware of childhood cancer before Mollie was diagnosed with leukemia. I had no idea of the progress that has been made in treating leukemia in the last 25 years. But I also had no idea how many children suffer from cancer, how difficult it is to do research on childhood cancer, and how little is known about the causes. These are just a few statistics. For more detailed information, I'll direct you to the links in the sidebar.
Childhood Cancer Facts
- Each school day, 46 children are diagnosed with cancer.
- One in 330 children will develop cancer by age 20.
- Although the 5 year survival rate is steadily increasing, one quarter of children will die 5 years from the time of diagnosis.
- Cancer remains the number one disease killer of America's children - more than Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Asthma and AIDS combined.
- From www.candlelighters.org
You can raise money for the Children's Cancer Research Fund by without even opening your wallet. Simply watch a few short videos at www.completethecure.com. For each video you watch during the month of September, a group of corporate sponsors will donate $0.25 to the research fund. You can watch these over and over and send the links to your friends, put them on your websites, etc.
For those who like to shop, you can purchase a Macy's shopping pass from CureSearch. This $5.00 pass give you a 10-20% discount on all Macy's items for one day (Sept. 20). Yes, that included mattresses, furniture, and rugs.