6.21.2008

Day 3

Today was day 3 of the induction phase of chemotherapy. The plan is for Mollie to receive intensive chemotherapy for 28 days with the goal of putting the cancer into remission. My parents and Matt's parents are here helping and so many friends have stepped up to help. When I have a break, I'll write out the story of how Mollie was diagnosed and what it was like those first few days.

Mollie has acute lymphoblastic leukemia (pre-B cell ALL). You can find out more about this disease in numerous websites; I like www.curesearch.org.

Today Mollie was more like herself. She spent several hours in the play room playing Rapunzel, pretending to talk on the phone, playing in the play kitchen, and coloring. I guess all the playing wore her out because now she's sleeping soundly despite the TV being on and Lucy screaming!

Just a note: The mornings and evenings are difficult because that's when the medications are dispensed, labs are drawn, blood sugar is measured, etc.

4 comments:

  1. we are rooting for you, miss mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your girls are so lovely. I know the encompassing fear and shock you must be feeling right now. There are some great sites for support and advice at:
    www.all-kids.org and http://ubb-lls.leukemia-lymphoma.org (the forum of "when a child has cancer")
    It's so hard and heart breaking, but it does get better. Please feel free to e-mail me at anytime. (pauletteispretty@yahoo.com)
    Holding you all strong in my thoughts. Love, Paulette
    www.helpisabel.us

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me (i'm NEA's brother's girlfriend) but I wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and i'm rooting for Mollie and you all too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sarah
    I read your comment to Isabel about your daughter Mollie and was instantly touched. If you haven't already, please do sign up with www.chemoangels.com - it is a fabulous charity that connects cancer patients with "angels" who write letters and send little gifts each week to brighten the day of the patient. Isabel is my second buddy and I think Mollie would really enjoy having someone to watch over her too.
    Please feel free to get in touch if you want to vent, ask questions or whatever.
    Be strong, stay strong!
    Lots of love and warm thoughts from Germany
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!